Quick workout, high intensity…it’s leg day!
Strength and stamina is the name of the game. Let’s do this!
Day 16 exercises:
- Donkey Kick workout (see video below)
- Moving Clamshells – 3 sets of 10
- Side Lying Leg Raise – 3 sets of 10
- Plank – :60
- Wall Sit – :60
- Superman – Rest day
- Push Ups – 40
- #MadManMartin Plank Challenge – 2:00 (120 seconds!)
Bonus: 7 Key Stretches for Runners
Loved all the yoga yesterday! Let’s keep up that wonderful stretching today and finish it off with our 7 Key Stretches for Runners.
Donkey Kick Workout:
Speed Work: WHOOOHOOOO for SPEED!! Some awesome speed work happening this week! If you haven’t gotten yours done yet…today is likely the last day to get it in before resting up for long runs this weekend. Here’s this weeks workout.
Workout: 800M, 400M X 3 or 4
- Warm up – 1 – 1.5 miles slow and easy. Get your hear pumping and your breathing going
- 800M (1/2 mile) – Remember those times I gave you for 400’s? Double that and slow it down just a tad. (See times below)
- Rest 90 seconds – walk, jog, or stand still and breahte
- 400M (1/4 mile) – Do not run these too fast. Remember the key is to be steady here. So you shouldn’t be running these at top speed. Take your 800M (1/2 mile) time and cut it in half.
- Rest 90 seconds – walk, jog, or stand still and breathe
- Do it all again!
- Repeat this cycle 3 -4 times. 3 times = 2.25 miles / 4 times = 3 miles
- Cool down – 1 – 1.5 miles slowly to bring your heart rate down keep your legs moving
1/4 Mile is equivalent to 400 meters or one lap of a standard-sized track while 800 meters is 1/2 mile or 2 laps around a standard-sized track. Here’s a few examples of where your interval times would range, depending on your mile time.
For this workout, you should take the times below and slow them down just a tad. I run 400M in about 1:45 – 1:50, so for this workout, I’ll run 800M in 4:05-4:08 and the 400M in 1:55 – 2:00. You can do this. Don’t overthink it. Just go out and run a little faster than you’re used to!
During a conversation pace run, if you average a:
- 14:00/mile, you should run the quarter-mile in 3:00.
- 13:00/mile, you should run the quarter-mile in 2:45.
- 12:00/mile, you should run the quarter-mile in 2:30.
- 11:00/mile, you should run the quarter-mile in 2:15.
- 10:00/mile, you should run the quarter-mile in 2:00.
- 9:00/mile, you should run the quarter-mile in 1:45.
- 8:00/mile, you should run the quarter-mile in 1:30.
- 7:00/mile, you should run the quarter-mile in 1:15.
Today’s workout is a doozy…fast, high intensity that will leave you sore and tired. But oh man that’s a good sore. Let’s knock it out and have a great day Crew! 🙂