Short and sweet today Crew. It’s Hump Day let’s stay focused and get over the mid week slump with some exercise!
Wednesday is track day for me so I’ll be up and at em with my “really stupid early” morning track Crew. Can’t wait to see some of you doing speed work today too! Wednesday’s are GREAT for speed work. Plenty of time to recover from our long runs from the past weekend and just enough time to recover from a speedy session before long runs the next weekend!
Show us what you got! 🙂
Day 21 exercises:
- Plank – :60
- Squats – 20 x 10
- Push Ups – 10 x 2
- Tricep Overhead Extensions – 10 x 2
- Standing Side Crunch – 20 x 2
- Burpees – 30
- Wall Sit – :60
Bonus: #AbsOnFire – You know you love it! If you have an extra 10-15 minutes, throw in this ab workout and fire up that core!
Speed Work: 5 Choices! I hope to see lots of speed work today. You have many choices. Pick one that works for you and get it done!
- Hill Sprints – If you have a route that ends near a hill, do an easy warm up then finish your run going repeats up and down that hill.
- Strides – Strides are fun and will finish your run with a huge bang. Strides are meant to be at high speed and they are very short. Think 50-100 meters on a track so around half of the straight away. At the end of your easy run, choose a spot in the distance that’s about that far and push to top speed then slow down as you reach that spot. Think of it like a crescendo….start out at around 60% then speed up to top speed at the middle. Hold there for a few seconds then come down the other side towards the spot you choose. You can stop and breathe for a few seconds then turn around and run that same distance again. Repeat 4-6 times.
- Tempo Intervals – Tempo intervals are meant to be ran at your tempo pace which is little faster than 10K pace. This workout has you doing this twice after a good warm up. Take a short break in between your intervals than get in a good cool down. With this workout you are looking at around 5-6 miles. You can easily add distance to this workout by adding another interval in the middle at tempo pace. You know the distance you are working towards so if you need more, do more!
- Progression Run – A Progression run ends with the 2nd half of your workout faster than the 1st half. A lot of us do this type of workout often because it is similar to a “negative split” run. This is one of those workouts you can do often. Just make sure you also get in a cool down at the end so you’re not going from a fast pace to just stopping. You can do a half mile at an easy pace or just walk for 5-10 minutes to cool down.
- Short Fartlek – Run a 1-2 mile easy warm up then go into a fartlek workout with 10-12 intervals of 1 minute fast and 1 minute slow. These are short intervals so you want to push hard during the fast portion. Think 5K pace or faster.
That’s all for our Hump Day Crew.