Today’s exercises should be familiar and are recommended by doctors for weak quads (causes hamstring issues and lack of power when we need it most) and weak hips & glutes (causes back, sciatica, IT Band, and Knee pain). We should ALL be able to do ALL of these exercises. Well, unless you are dealing with ankle issues…then maybe no squats. Otherwise you shouldn’t have any issues!
We don’t want to go all out with leg work on Thursdays since our long runs are close. We want fresh legs…but that doesn’t mean no strength and it doesn’t mean to get sloppy or skip out early. Today is quick, yet effective. Get it done Crew!
Day 7 Plan:
- Quick Morning Workout and Quick Before Bed Workout
- Day 7 exercises: 2-3 x 10
- Bonus: Modern Mom/Dad Hips! – Always a Crew favorite!
- Speed Work: If you haven’t done it yet, today is probably the last chance unless you do your long runs during the week. Click here for Monday’s post and scroll down for this week’s speed workout.
Day 7 Exercises: 2-3 x 10
- Squats – Your Choice but stick with the same version for all three sets of 10
- Side Lunges
- Clams (resistance band optional – use it if you have it!)
- Reverse Clams (use the band if you have it!)
- Wall Sit – :60 or more (preferably right after your run)
Bonus: Modern Mom/Dad Hips – This is a GREAT video for hip strength. It says “trim” hips and that’s cool too…but these moves WILL help us strengthen our hips and glutes. The best part is it only takes 4 minutes per leg so it’s an easy addition to your workout.
Day 7 “how to” videos:
Squats: There are so many possible variations for this exercise. Choose one, watch your form closely and bank out 3 sets of 10. Since we aren’t doing a large number of squats, stick with the same version for all 3 sets.
Side Lunges: This wide side lunge will help you build strength in your legs and glutes PLUS give you a good stretch too.
Clams with resistance bands: Clams are great for our hips with or without the band, but the band makes it more challenging and more effective. If you don’t have a band, follow along anyways and make sure you are using your hips & glutes to to lift your top leg. Repeat on both sides.
Reverse Clams with resistance bands: Legs are inline with you body with your feet out behind you. Knees do not touch, that makes it too easy. This can also be done without the bands, but they make it harder and more effective.
Wall Sit: A great exercise to target the entire thigh area, your quad, your inner thigh, the back of the leg, the hamstring, and your glutes.