Without a doubt the long run is one of the most important parts of our overall training cycle. Hopefully you have a pack of like minded people ready to go long with you this weekend.
If you must go solo…there are ways to make it easier. Let’s face it, if you’re following your training plan you’re physically ready to go the distance…it’s the mental part that is agonizing.
Here are some tips to make it easier to get out the door.
- Plan ahead: If it’s actually written down in your calendar, you’re more likely to do it.
- Get it done early: Don’t wait till Sunday, cross it off your to-do list on Saturday if possible. Lift that weight off your back early so it’s not looming over your head all weekend.
- Get online: Your Core Crew is your support system and we an be a HUGE motivator. If you post that you’re going out for a 12 miler, you won’t want to let us down…right? Go ahead and #RunBrag afterward to celebrate too!. Your run post just might inspire someone else to head out for their run, too!
- Get your gear on: Lay out your outfit the night before and put it on right away in the morning. You’ll feel silly sitting in your house in your running clothes, so hit the roads where those kicks really belong!
- Pick a killer playlist: There’s something to be said for those times when one of your favorite tunes comes on and nudges you to pick up the pace a bit. To be safe, only use one earbud with the volume just loud enough to hear it so you are safe.
- Focus on the half-way point: The first half of a long run is usually the hardest part because you feel like you’re heading away from home. Even if you still have a ways to go, you get excited when you’re halfway done because it feels like every step is a step toward home. Breaking up the run into parts makes it more manageable and less daunting.
- Be creative with your route: Try not to run the same roads all the time. Changing up the scenery can help beat the boredom.
- Remember that it’s worth it in the end: It feels pretty darn sweet finishing a long run. Savor it.
Are you ready to go long? What’s holding you back? We are all here waiting for you to finish…waiting for you to brag about how awesome you are…waiting to tell you how proud of you we are…
Don’t let us down! Of course we’ll still love you if you do…. So even more important…don’t let yourself down. You know you want it…go out and get it!
Remember…if you need to wait until Sunday to get your long run in…spend a little time working those abs on Saturday! Switch it up and make it work for you!
When you’re done….PLEASE make time to stretch!
Day 9 exercises:
- Long Run + Plank – :30 (2X) + 7 Key Stretches for Runners
Day 10 exercises:
- Ab Pyramid – 1 set
- Plank – :30 (1X)
If you are thinking about skipping your long run this weekend because you’re tired, or don’t feel like it, or have to many other things to do…remember that this is your YOU time. You deserve this time for yourself…to be healthy, to be sane!
So if you’re feeling blah, tell yourself…no way am I giving up this time for me… no way…